1 Corinthians 16:13-14 "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love."

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

God is in the little things

Monday I had the opportunity to meet with one of my students from the Bible College at his "house." I was heading downtown in the morning and he was eager to meet with me to show me his place. Now, this is a traditional Ugandan custom. For someone to invite you over, they are truly opening themselves up to you. As the average Ugandan has really nothing, no earthly possessions to call their own. They will literally give you a meal even if it means that they don't eat for the rest of the week. With this in mind, I told him that I would meet with him only if he would allow me to buy him breakfast. He humbly agreed. (Thankfully, breakfast here runs about one to two U.S. dollars.)

After breakfast, he was ready for me to come and see his place. He asked if I would like to take a taxi, I respectfully declined and said that walking was okay with me. I asked how far...he said "far." So I said, "about 20 minutes away?" He said "yes." 

45 minutes later we arrived at his place. Now, Ugandans are not known for keeping time so it was my fault for trying to put a time limit on his walking distance. But, I did know that "far" meant that we would be walking for some time...albeit not 45 minutes.  

Arriving at his place I got to meet his brother. They both lived in a one room, a 10 feet by 10 feet living space. No bathrooms, showers, closets, kitchen, etc. They had a queen size bed that they shared (completely normal here) and a bunch of Christian movies they had stored up when the church here went to all DVD. But, the best part was the worship music playing on the radio when we walked in. What a blessing!! 

Him and his brother proceeded to tell me how they were humbled by me leaving the U.S. to come to Africa. I was in shock. I live in a house, with bathrooms, kitchen, etc. I was the one who was humbled!! He was very proud to have me there for the morning and I was even prouder to see the work that the Lord is doing in his life. It is great that since we have the same Spirit, the same Lord, no matter where we come from, we have the most important thing in common...Jesus Christ. The whole time I was there, neither man complained once about what they did or didn't have. They were eager to show me where they did weekly outreaches in the community and to meet some of the people they encourage daily. 

This is just one way the Lord is using us here. We often have chances to meet, pray with and disciple people on their level, really showing the love of Jesus. We pray that the Lord would continue to use us here; to encourage the believers to stay strong and keep their eyes fixed upon Jesus. 

Grace and Peace, 

Bob 

No comments: